Pride and Prejudice and the City book review

 


I have been a massive Rachael Lippincott fan for years so every time she announces a new book I immediately know I need to pre-order and read it and that’s what I did with this one. 


Pride and Prejudice and the City is a Pride and Prejudice retelling that primarily takes place in 1812 but also includes time travel and points in 2023. We follow Lucy and Audrey as Audrey finds herself transported to 1812 and has to figure out how to get back home along with both her and Lucy figuring out how to fall in love with the men they’re meant to. It is a YA love story both set in the past and the present with some fantastic scenes you would expect from a regency love story. 


We get both Lucy and Audrey’s perspectives throughout the story and something I really liked was each chapter was dated for when it occurred which isn’t something I often see but it helps me understand the timeline and when a book takes place over 200 years it's nice to have. 


Along with Lucy and Audrey, we frequently see quite a few of Lucy’s friends that I quickly fell in love with and would have loved to see more of after the story ended, these include Alexander and Matthew but also Grace, one of Lucy’s longtime friends. As with any story, there were characters I wasn’t a fan of but I was a fan of both of our lead characters and the majority of the side ones, especially those we got to know well, they kept surprising me as I got to know them and were some of the best friends these girls could have asked for. I really liked how different Lucy and Audrey were but also complementing each other in a way that made it obvious that they were made for each other, you just know they will continue to support each other through whatever they face as well as encourage each other to achieve as much as they can. 


I really enjoyed the time travel aspect of this story and how it worked out and it was nice to do as I wasn’t sure how I would feel about it before I picked it up. It was cool to read about and while I don’t think I’m going to be picking up any more books with time travel any time soon it is something I would consider more now and I’m glad that it didn’t ultimately put me off. 


There were times I laughed, times I felt so much for these characters and ties I wanted to throw this book across the room which I think shows how excellent the story is. I always look for books that both make me feel strongly and make me feel a range of things because that's when I know that I’ve been properly engrossed in the story and it had me hooked, both of which this book obviously did have, not so much at the start but completely by the end. 


When I compare it to previous Rachael Lippincott books it has not moved She Gets The Girl or Five Feet Apart from the top spots but it’s also not at the bottom of the list and is definitely still a new favourite. I will be recommending this for months and I’m sure it will turn up on many more recommendation posts than it needs to over these months, like any new favourite does. An easy 4.5 stars and one I’m so glad to have loved. 


Comments

My Most Read Reviews

As Good As Dead short review

The Gossip Games book review

Fire by Kristen Cashore Book Review