In the Weeds book review

 


I read Lovelight Farms at the start of this year and loved so was very excited to continue with the series of interconnecting romance novels based in the small town of Inglewild. In the Weeds is the second book in the Lovelight Farms series and it completely blew my expectations of it. There were so many things about these characters that I related to and was not expecting going into to the point where I do not know if I will love any other romance book as much as I did this one for the rest of the year. Once I have read Mixed Signals I also will 100% be going back and annotating this. 


In the Weeds follows Evelyn, a social media influencer who is trying to find what makes her happy and Beckett, a farmer who can’t say no to taking in animals and has not been able to forget the amazing two nights with Evelyn in Maine. 


We get both the perspectives of Beckett and Evelyn over the course of the story which I loved and felt like the best way to tell the story. At the start of the book including the prologue and both Evelyn and Beckett’s first chapters, we get flashbacks to previous times they’ve met and gotten to know each other. 


Along with seeing Evelyn and Beckett, we get to meet the population of this small town which I loved! The characters in this town are fantastic and they made me laugh so much, I love small towns because they always have such fantastic characters that add so much to the story like during the Town Meeting and Trivia Night. I also loved seeing more of Layla, Stella and Luka whom we met and got to know in Lovelight Farms as well as meeting Beckett’s family. 


There was a lot I connected to in this book that contributed to why I loved it just so much. Throughout the story, Beckett struggles with people and noise heavily which so heavily resonated with me in ways I was not expecting. I am someone that struggles highly with my senses so to find the way I feel in a book like this is laid out, even with only one sense, means so much to me. The descriptions about it, coping mechanisms and reactions were something that I highly connected with and am so grateful to have been able to read about. Beckett is never given a diagnosis in the story, and as someone who has yet to get any sort of diagnosis I really liked that because it didn’t make it feel like that couldn’t be me because I don't have that diagnosis or that isn’t what I've been referred for. I am so thankful for this rep and it’s something I will continue to recommend. 


I also connected to Evelyn as she was trying to find her happy, and how each day Beckett asked her if she’d found her happy that day. It made me so happy and while I didn’t connect to it like I did Beckett I still connected to it and saw myself reflected in the goings-on. Evelyn was great and the way she found her happy made me so happy. 


I loved the romance, the characters and the story so much. There was no way I could rate this anything but five stars. When I think about how much I enjoyed this story, nothing comes to mind that I didn’t love or that I had issues with. I wouldn’t say any book is perfect but there was nothing I had issues with. I felt so seen and that is something that makes me so happy. 


I recommend this book so much and as I already mentioned I could not rate it anything but five stars. I am sure I will continue to talk about this series loads, especially this book. I am very excited to read Mixed Signals and then Business Casual later this year when it is released. I didn’t think I could love this more than I loved Lovelight Farms yet here we are.


Comments

My Most Read Reviews

As Good As Dead short review

The Gossip Games book review

Fire by Kristen Cashore Book Review