Carpe Jugulum book review

 


Carpe Jugulum is the final book in the Discworld Witches subseries and the last book with Witches characters I needed to read. We follow witches and vampires, and the chaos that comes with them interacting. Pratchett takes vampires and makes them modern, flipping everything everyone knows about them all on its head meaning no one actually knows how to deal with them.


In Carpe Jugulum we follow the three we have come to know well Margrat, Nanny Ogg and Granny Weatherwax but since Margrat is off Queening we also follow Agnes who has taken over Margrat’s cottage. Along with the witches we obviously see a lot of our key ‘vampyre’ family but also the Priest Mightly Oats and we are introduced to the Pictsies we love drinking, fighting and stealing cows. 


I love Pratchett’s Witches and I think I always will but I also enjoyed meeting some fantastic new characters like Igor and seeing some I know from other books like  The Nac Mac Feegles. What I like about our Witches books is that we get to see different sides of the witches as we follow them across different books so each time I find a different witch my favourite or understand them all a little bit better. 


I know I’m not yet anywhere near done with these books but I’m very much excited to go back and reread them all in chronological order so I can see the easter eggs, foreshadowing and character appearances as they were written. 


I really enjoyed this book and I do think that it’s one of my favourite witches' books now, the audiobook was a fantastic way to read it and I think I will be continuing down the audiobook route for many more of my Discworld reads. There are always fantastic scenes with all these different character dynamics and adding Agnes and Perdita to the coven only increased those. 


I loved this just as I have previous Discworld books but I’m also disappointed to no longer have another Witches book there for me to pick up and read for this first time when I feel like it, seeing as I have been reading these for over four years, no matter how much I loved reading each one. I can only imagine how I will feel when I finish my last Discworld book, but luckily I still have another 20+ before I get to that point. 


While I definitely do recommend this book I wouldn’t recommend it as an ideal starting point for the Discworld as in many ways it is assumed you already know these characters and some bits surrounding them. 


An easy 4.75 stars and I’m very excited to get a copy of this to add to my growing Discworld collection so I no longer need to borrow one from someone else. 

Comments

My Most Read Reviews

As Good As Dead short review

The Gossip Games book review

Fire by Kristen Cashore Book Review