Divine Rivals book review

 


I have seen this book EVERYWHERE so knew I had to read it and absolutely loved it. While it’s not one of my absolute favourite books of the year I definitely do need to go back and annotate my copy. 

If you don’t already know what Divine Rivals is about it follows two journalists, a war between gods and anonymous corespondance. There is magic, letters and great friendships. 

I listened to the audiobook of this and it was fantastic, both Iris and Roman have different narrators and it made the listening experience absolutely fantastic. I’m not always an audiobook person but I’m so glad I picked up the audiobook for this one because with the letters between the characters, I had a great time. 

I LOVED the romance in this and the build up between the characters. Atti and Marisol are some of my favourite side characters (and build up the best friendship with Iris). Roman and Iris are fantastic characters on their own and together and I can’t wait to see what will happen with them in Ruthless Vows (but I have a feeling I’ll cry). 

As someone that loves history and has learned a lot about WW1 over recent time I loved the war aspect and how much of it felt like it was based on WW1. I love historical fiction but I don’t read as much as I’d like to due to how much history I do at school so this made a nice change - it had many war aspects I like but was different enough that it didn’t feel too much like school history lessons to me. 

I love the book but I don’t like what a specific character did at the end. Not in a way that brought my rating down but more that I didn’t like his actions and he really needs to do a bit to redeem himself in Ruthless Vows. 

Overall, I highly recommend this if you haven’t already read it and am really looking forward to finishing the duology. An easy 5 stars. 


Comments

My Most Read Reviews

As Good As Dead short review

Fire by Kristen Cashore Book Review

The Gossip Games book review