The Gossip Games book review




This book took me by major surprise and I am so glad that I chose to read it because boy, was it good. I fell in love with this book, the story, the characters, the romance and nearly everything else that was included in it.

The Gossip Games follows Gracie who has recently had rumours about her start-up after Dean, her best friend's brother, carried her up to bed and she’s not best pleased. This starts up a competition of sorts between the two to see who can one up the other in a game of flirting and fake dating.
This book is a contemporary young adult romance following characters who are in their later teenage years at a private boarding school.

The main characters in The Gossip Games are Gracie and Dean, as well as Zara, Dean’s twin sister and Gracie’s best friend, Jesse and Theo, who are Zara and Dean’s cousins, though there are a couple of other characters who feature regularly. I liked nearly all the cast of characters and if I didn’t originally like a character quite often I grew to like them throughout the book as their character developed more, my favourite characters were probably Gracie and Dean mainly because of their enjoyment of YA fantasy which is something I connect to. I found it very easy to relate to Gracie as a character because I have similar interests to her as well as going about things in a similar way, I too love books and fictional characters and have a strong desire to work well and succeed at school, as well as valuing all my friendships no matter who with. I could relate to many of the other characters as well but none so much as Gracie.

As I previously mentioned I really liked the fact that both Gracie and Dean read and had a strong love of YA fantasy a genre I enjoy as well. Something else I liked was the relationships in this book, they all had a level of reality to them and felt true to all the characters, this included the friendship that the Ashcroft cousins shared (Dean, Zara, Jesse and Theo), Zara and Gracie’s friendship and Dean and Gracie’s friendship and relationship as well as the way that developed over the course of the book.
There wasn’t actually anything that I truly disliked in this book but I understand that it’s not a book everyone will love as much as me, it is just a really perfect book for me.

This book made me feel seen and understood as well as resonating in me as being me and just a really perfect book for me, I don’t know how to describe it. I was also very happy to see all the mentions of YA fantasy books I love or am really excited to read I definitely have a list I want to ask Gracie and Dean if they’ve read and if they have what their thoughts are.

I would definitely recommend this book, especially to YA contemporary teenage bookworms like myself and I am so glad that I got the chance to read it early and share my love, hopefully inspiring others to pick it up upon release or pre-order. Five star rating all the way.

Thank you Netgalley and SnowRidge Press for the e-arc in exchange for a fair review


 

Comments

My Most Read Reviews

As Good As Dead short review

Fire by Kristen Cashore Book Review